20070417

Free virtual phone solution keeps you in the loop or let's you hide


Heads up. There is a slick new web-based phone service that you should know about. GrandCentral provides a one number telephony solution that makes the final destination of the call transparent to the caller. That's the nerd way of saying, you can call one number and have it ring multiple phones in various locations just like all those bad guys in James Bond movies. I know what you're thinking: Why do I need this? I can just give out my cell number and folks can reach me wherever I am. Sure. You could do that, but then everyone (i.e. clients, exes, collection agents, etc.) could end up with your cell number; and, then they can hound you all the time. Interested? Read on. Not? Have a great day while the rest of us dork out for a few minutes.

The service is called GrandCentral.com. It's free, and it's bad ass. Read the write up on LifeHacker if you don't believe me.

One phone number to rule them all
GrandCentral is a brilliant new web app that lets you consolidate all of your phone numbers into one number, meaning someone can call you on your GrandCentral phone number and all of your phones (cell phone, work phone, home phone) will ring. And then it gets interesting.

Still not buying it? You're dumb. The reason that I'm so excited is because I rarely work in the office, so giving out my office number is pointless. I can't give out my client location phone number to other clients from different groups. I'm not sure why, but I've heard it's ethical. Huh. I didn't know I had ethics; that rocks. Finally, I hate giving out my cell number to clients. I don't want to hear from them after 6PM or, heaven forbid, on the weekends.

In my last role, I was in contact with many clients constantly. Based on the reasons stated above, I signed up for Vonage and used it to facilitate an anywhere or virtual work phone. But, Vonage costs $30 a month and may go out of business due to the pending litigation regarding patent infringement. My internal communications dork broke down in a blubbering heap of snot and busted fiber.

Reading about GrandCentral on LifeHacker caused JB, Tech Dork, to send hallelujahs skyward. Ideally GC can steer clear of legal trouble and stay in business. May be the Googlians will buy them. One can only hope.

No comments: